Archive for 'Interesting sites'
Posted on 17. Sep, 2009 by Krishnan.
This instruction is meant for Windows users.
You’ll need atleast a 16 GB pendrive to carry Wikipedia.
Method 1 : Easy method
For those who are not willing to go through a lot of pain in learning new things, this is the simpler method
- First download the latest content from Wikipedia. This is a single file of size 5.1 GB as on today and downloading could take hours.
- The latest dump is presently at http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/latest/enwiki-latest-pages-articles.xml.bz2. Copy the downloaded .bz2 file to, say C:\wikipedia.
- After this 5.1 GB download is complete, it is necessary to download the software that can read this huge file.
- The simplest is wikitaxi. Download Wikitaxi and unzip to the same folder, C:\wikipedia
- You should see two executable files now. The wikitaxi executable is the one that should be used to run wikipedia. The wikitaxi importer executable is the one we need to use to convert the .bz2 file downloaded into a .taxi file.
- Run the wikitaxi importer executable and let it convert the .bz2 file into a .taxi file. This takes a long time and produces a single 9.2 GB file with a .taxi extension.
- Once .taxi file is made run the wikitaxi executable and open the .taxi file. You should be able to browse the content of wikipedia, but with a slightly different look.
- Now copy the C:\wikipedia folder to a pendrive and you have a portable version for personal reference.
Method 2: For the geeks
You probably don’t need to read this, but the best way is to clearly to host the entire content on the same platform that Wikipedia does.
- Install XAMPP on a pen drive
- Install Mediawiki on XAMPP
- Download the latest Wikipedia dump
- Import the dump to Mediawiki.
Voila! You have the portable and perfect replica of Wikipedia.